Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Daddy's Home

Yesterday, I saw Daddy's car pull in the driveway at the end of the day and I sent Flik to the front window to, "see if there's anything out front." You'd think by now he'd know that this means that there definitely is something or someone out there, but he doesn't. The second he saw Daddy's car he erupted into a full-blown, full-body spasm of glee with a smile the size of the moon. Arms flailing, feet dancing, Flik finally gets himself together enough to remember that he needs to run and hide. This is part of the ritual. I don't remember how it started, but he's been doing it for over a year. When Daddy comes home, Flik runs and hides and Daddy goes looking for him. It's not that hard to find him. Flik has two, maybe three go-to hiding spaces, though there are at least twenty good spots on our main floor alone. But it's still the cutest thing ever to hear Daddy "looking" for Flik. Some days he walks around and around, looking under tables and inside closets all the while wondering out loud, "Where could Flik be?" Some days he goes straight to Flik's #1 spot and peers over the back of the chair at the little curled up boy behind it. Either way, the game always ends with giggles from Flik and then the question, "How did you find me?" Daddy answers, "You always hide in the same spot, bud." Flik is starting to catch on. Yesterday he hid in primary spot #2 instead of spot #1.

I love the entire scene from start to finish. I just really wish that Daddy could see the sheer joy that envelops our little boy when he realizes that Daddy is home; a joy that shakes him into a giggly frenzy.

3 comments:

RaRa said...

Have you started to call B "Flick" in real life yet?

RaRa said...

Sorry, "Flik".

rubyspikes said...

I occasionally call B Flik. More often though, I've been using W, Z. Which to the people who don't know me IRL, this is the weirdest, most incoherent comment. Anyway...

When I first started the pseudonyms, I looked up the spelling Flik, just to be sure. What do you know... no "c".

Post a Comment