By seven months, your baby...
... should be able to
- feed self a cracker
No idea. Mommy confession: we started solids very late, so we are no where near feeding him crackers. But he can stick his pacifier in his mouth, so that's pretty similar.
- razz (make a wet razzing sound)
- coo or babble when happy
Definitely. This is one cooey, happy baby. Though admittedly, sometimes his happy coos don't sound very happy, even if he's got a big grin on his face.
- smile often when interacting with you
Definitely. Very happy baby. Lots of smiles.
... will probably be able to
- sit without support
Mostly. He can sit up without support, but can't do it for long, but just because he'll reach for something out of reach or turn around to see someone talking behind him and fall over. So he's got the "sitting up unsupported" part down, it's the "realize how far you can lean before you fall over" part that he needs to work on.
- bear some weight on legs when held upright
- object if you try to take a toy away
Not really. I think that's due to the fact that mostly it's Flik taking toys away, and Z is usually more interested in Flik that the toy anyway.
- work to get a toy that's out of reach
- look for a dropped object
- rake with fingers an object and pick it up in fist
- turn in the direction of a voice
- babble, combining vowels and consonants such as ga-ga-ga, ba-ba-ba
- play peekaboo
Not so much, but I'm not sure what he's supposed to "do" really. He doesn't really seem interested if any of us disappear and reappear. Mostly he has a look that indicates he's not really surprised we left, or that we came back.
... may possibly be able to:
- creep or crawl
Not really. Can roll his way to a toy that's out of reach, but it's still not really creeping.
- pass a cube or other object from one hand to the other
I don't think so, no.
- stand holding on to someone or something
... may even be able to:
- pull up to a standing position from sitting
- get into a sitting position from stomach
- play patty-cake (clap hands) or wave bye-bye
- pick up tiny object with any part of thumb and finger
- walk holding on to furniture (cruise)
- say "mama" or "dada" indiscriminately
- ride a bicycle
OK. This last one isn't really in the book. But it might as well be. There are babies that are cruising at 7 months? Really? Whatever. Showoff babies.
Overall, Z is a very happy baby. The only time he cries is when he is hungry or when he discovers that the bottle is empty. He had been sleeping pretty well, but has gotten a little restless in the last couple weeks. He goes to bed at 7 and then wakes up at 8, and sometimes again at 9. He then wakes up for a bottle around 1 or 2 and then sleeps until 5:30 or 6. He is taking three naps during the day, which range from 30 minutes to 2.5-3 hours. He recently started eating solid foods and is taking to them very easily.
Z adores his brother and Flik is a great big brother. Today Z was sitting in his Bumbo seat and kept dropping the toys off of the tray. Flik was always willing to go get the toys that were out of Z's reach and pile them back on the tray for him. They are going to be quite a team.